Quickie Crafting Kit…Not Such a Quickie

     While sorting through scrap supplies in the craft room I stumbled upon a very old, but unopened string art kit. You know, one of those little “happy hands projects” that you buy to keep older children occupied for a little while. This particular kit was for ages 10 and up. I must admit that I have never tried doing string art, and it is also fair to say that it was not on my so called “bucket list”.

     Out of boredom and curiosity, I removed the contents of the kit from the box and read the instructions. “Step one, glue the sheet of fabric to the top piece of wood and smooth out the edges, and hold in place until the glue dries”. Sounding easy enough, I decided to tackle this little kit. I grabbed the bottle of glue that was close by and started step one…or so I thought. All too soon I discovered that the glue absorbs into the fabric and does not adhere to the piece of wood included in the kit. It did however adhere very nicely to my finger tips. Not to be outsmarted by this little project I came up with my own solution…wash hands and lay fabric on wood piece and move on to step two.

     Step Two: Cut out pattern and lay on top of fabric covered wood piece. Secretly savoring the accomplishment of achieving step two without any difficulty I decided to continue on to step three.

     Step 3: This step requires hammering 200 mini nails on dots in the pattern, laying on top of the fabric covered piece of wood. After careful consideration, I decided it might be best to continue the project outside at the picnic table. Gathering up the kit, a hammer, and a small Styrofoam bowl, which held all of the mini nails, I went out the door and set up my work area at the picnic table. Continuing with step 3, the first couple of nails went into the wood block smoothly. Nail number 3 suddenly came to life. It just did not want to stay on the little dot in the pattern. After removing the nail from the board 4 times, I somehow managed to get it nailed into position. A few more nails were successfully added then the fun began. The positions for the nails on the pattern are too close together to hammer with ease. My fingers were sore from being hammered and my patience was wearing very thin. To add insult to my injuries, a big gust of wind blew up out of nowhere, and my styrofoam bowl of mini nails found their way into the dry summer grass under the picnic table. Determined to finish the project that I never really wanted to try in the first place, I got down on my hands and knees and started hunting the grass for the tiny nails. After about an hour of retrieving as many nails as I could find, I decided to continue with step 3. I hammered nails into the wooden block, occasionally hitting my fingers as I went, until there were no more nails. By this point, I was loosing day light, and there were 15 nails still missing in action. I had no choice but to call it a night! Josh being the sweetheart that he is, got his magnet on wheels out of the garage when he got home from work and was able to retrieve 21 nails. I’m happy to report that all of the nails are no securely hammered into place, and I am left with the decision of whether to finish this project or banish it to the ever growing pile of “projects to finish at a later date”. Call me stubborn, but I am feeling feisty. This “quickie” craft project will be complete before this weekend is over!!!

Advertisements